Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Memories of IT - 1997 - Salary, Regina and time for moving on...

One of the reasons for moving a company from Toronto to Regina is lower pay scales for your staff. If you moved from Toronto, you kept your current salary, but very quickly one raise or two would get you to the top of your job’s salary range and from then on your boss would say every year “I am really sorry, but no raise for you”.

Now, whether I really needed 2% raises or not, when this starts happening, you get annoyed. Also, some of what I used to do in TD about methodology was now thought to be needed again, and at a higher job level. I thought this sounded good and applied to the new position, All the people I worked with saw the job posting and said “Dave, that job is so you!” My application came back with a note that I was not right for the job. The HR person who told me this said that the senior IT VP hiring the position, who I had helped with methodology before, said he would be willing to meet with me if I wanted to discuss his decision, possibly a attempt to placate me as he was hiring somebody from outside the company he had worked with before. I most politely declined the offer, because I was steaming mad inside, and I may just have blown-up if I saw that VP. I shared this with someone I trusted and he said I had done the right thing.

This was also happening during my fourth winter in Regina, a horrible winter. So, all these factors came to a head and led me into an active search for a new job somewhere else. This was big decision, as I had worked at Crown Life for 17 years. It took a few months and I got an offer from a big insurance back in Ontario who would pay to move us back. I jumped at it.

No comments:

About Me

Ontario, Canada
I have been an IT Business Analyst for 25 years, so I must have learned something. Also been on a lot of projects, which I have distilled into the book "Cascade": follow the link to the right to see more.